Eliesha Nelson

Porter Album Nominated in 4 Grammy Categories!

December 3rd, 2010

I was very excited to wake up this morning to news that the Porter Complete Viola Works had 4 Grammy nominations! For a debut recording, I am deeply honored. Not many orchestral musicians have Grammy nominations for their solo albums!

Porter Cover Photo

The recording was nominated in:

Best Engineered Album, Classical
Best Chamber Music Performance
Best Instrumental Soloist(s) Performance (with Orchestra)
Producer of the Year, Classical

I know I haven't won anything, but I feel like I have. I put so much time and energy into this project, yet wondered if anyone listened. The point of the recording was for the music to be heard, not a vanity album or a promotional tool. This proves overwhelmingly that it was heard, and that my colleagues respected the effort. It's very touching. So I must thank (and not in order of importance except for the first one):

• My parents - for driving me to music lessons in inclement Alaskan weather, paying for those lessons, camps, etc, and for supporting me unconditionally
  • My adoring and wonderful husband Jon, and my cute son William, who keeps me grounded
  • Musicians John McLaughlin Williams, Doug Rioth, Northwest Sinfonia
  • Producers Marina and Victor Ledin, who are incredible musicians
  • Engineers Leslie Ann Jones, Kory Kruckenberg & David Sabee, for making it all come together so eloquently
  • Dorian Sono Luminus - for believing in me enough to want to make another recording
  • Cleveland Orchestra - for being an interesting and creative group of musicians from whom to learn
  • Bob Vernon, Linda Cerone - for being among the vital teachers in my musical education
  • Incredible friends and family who supported me through the making of the album
Share and Bookmark:
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Digg
  • MySpace

Categories: African American Composers/MusiciansQuincy Porter Project

Tags:

7 Comments »
  1. Congratulations!!! That is wonderful news. I’m so proud of you. whether or not the album wins. If it does, I want to hear it announced on NPR like they did for the woman at Cleveland State when she won a Grammy.

Comment by Mary Barkley, — December 3, 2010 @11:43 am

2. Wonderful news, and well deserved: I’m glad industry recognizes your talent and skill. Now, let’s get ready to celebrate the win!!!

Comment by Danita Nelson, — December 3, 2010 @4:13 pm

3. You are such an inspiration Mrs. Nelson! I listen to your cd almost every day and come across something new that I love each time; if it wasn’t for you I wouldn’t have picked up the Porter Viola Concerto. You’ve opened my eyes to such wonderful music that’s overlooked far too often. I’m so glad you’ve been recognized for such incredible hard work and talent. An orchestral violist being nominated for a Grammy for solo playing? Doesn’t get much better than that!

Comment by Julia Clancy, — December 3, 2010 @8:24 pm

4. Wonderful,wonderful news. I know that you worked very hard on your album. I remember those years that I drove to take you to summer camp in Indiana, and to auditions at Northwestern University. It has all paid off! Well done.

Comment by Fredrika T. Pharr, — December 6, 2010 @1:42 am

5. Outstanding! I have always admired your work and your dedication. Please know that we are very proud of you and your accomplishments.

Comment by Shanell Williams, — December 6, 2010 @12:30 pm

6. Congratulations! This is wonderful news! I just purchased your CD from iTunes. It is wonderful! So nice to have a cousin nominated for a Grammy! Are you coming to the Grammies? If so, I might get to see you. I live in Rancho Cucamonga! CA not far from your Aunt Estella. Your CD sounds wonderful. Your grandmother taught me viola & piano when I was growing up.

Comment by Twania, — December 10, 2010 @10:51 pm

7. Eleisha: You’ll hardly remember me except, perhaps, vaguely, as Peggy’s husband. I was delighted to hear your CD and it’s now on its third hearing with, no doubt, more to come. It’s minus 35 or so in Fairbanks now and you add greatly to my resistance to cabin fever!
    Do keep it up! I wish you the very best in your professional years to come.

And say hello to your Mother and Dad for me. I enjoyed the talks your Dad and I had when you were upstairs in lessons and have thought of him often.

Best regards, Jerry Swartz